U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | list home decisions

list home decisions

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: list home decisions
  • From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <gjh@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:21:21 -0600
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list

Hello Everyone

Thanks to all for their words of support - I'm humbled :) - spent yesterday helping out a fundraising charity I help every year ( I usually take a vacation day to do this - unnecessary this year) - we brought in over $150,000 - I do the computer stuff :)

Many list members have offered hosting solutions. While I initially wanted to go with an academic instituion I no longer believe one of these will provide the long term stability we are after. Unless an art-culture based institution steps forward and makes a long term committment - but even then - organizations change their priorities ...

I think the best long term solution is to host the list on a private hosting service. There would be a cost involved eventually - a number of members have offered ( or have already) set up something. Some members have access to hosting services at no cost - these can be used as well. I don't want the list to be dependent upon the charity of an individual or organization in the long term.

Making this list survive in the long term will involve spending money - not likely a significant amount - but some. Independence cost money ....

I need to know whether list members would be willing to donate money to the costs of hosting this list on a private server. I would not want to make joining the list contingent upon paying a fee - but some list members would have to donate some money.
Perhaps something as simple as an annual print draw - List members donate a few prints - list members ( or anyone for that matter) buy tickets. The money from ticket sales funds the list hosting service. Could provide us with the ability to host a more sophisticated service.

Rather than picking and choosing from free services we could have a good text mailing list and a web based service to upload images and datafiles without worry of censorship, copyright or interference from any other organization. - but it would cost money and take a great deal of organization.

If something like this was set up the details of how and where the list is hosted could be managed by a few individuals - without having to worry about a panicked move from one charitable institution/individual to another.

If this is the case, the list could eventually if needed, form some sort of non-profit to insure its long-term survival.

It all depends on what value this community holds for itself.

If we don't want to pursue an independently self-funded organization/arrangement I will move the list to one of the academic sites that seems to insure the longest service.

Your thoughts please

Gord

--
Gordon J. Holtslander