U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Disappearing Photography Resources we can help

Re: Disappearing Photography Resources we can help

Mark (Kronquist), I am glad you posted...I'll contact you offlist with some questions.

(beware, long post)

Mark (Nelson) tell Dick I'm sorry for him :(

You can also tell Dick to consult Bang Printing in Brainerd Minn for a bid to reprint--not a quick printing place as Mark's, below, though.  My Tutti Nudi was printed there by Midmarch Arts (when I got a box of the books back in 2000 I was shocked to see it from Bang, because that press is only 20 miles from where I spend my summers and Midmarch is in NY!), and I am pretty sure Judy Siegel published her book there as well.

On second thought, what is quick?  I think Bang takes a month or two.  I bet Mark Kronquist you are talking a week or two?

Bang has an Akiyama press (a room size press) and if Dick is willing to outlay the initial bucks for a press run it is comparatively reasonable.  Comparatively is an operative word.  He could send a copy of the book to them and get a bid at least.

The problem is (aside from having a lump sum of cash laying around) he would have to have it in PDF or In Design and the layout done but maybe he has retained that even though Focal published it? Tell me yes please... What I am saying here all applies to his signed contract, and we all know where WIlliam Crawford got with HIS signed contract and Keepers of Light.

Bang also has a service where they will do the mailing out for you. I toured the whole facility this summer and was very impressed.

This is a good reason/plug for publishing one's own book--you're not at the mercy of a publisher. Alt is a niche market but if you find the niches you're good to go.  Today what works in our favor is 1) the web and 2) the fact that it doesn't matter how many color images you have in a book--cost is per page, not per image.  Maybe GISI is different but that is true of Bang and other presses I have consulted/worked with.  It is not true of who prints my Alternative Processes Condensed and Experimental Photography Workbook though.  That is why I have to put the color insert pages in there separate from the text.  Color pages are hugely expensive, and when I added the 9 or 10 color pages to each book due to buyer demand, it was right out of profit, but at least cheaper than having to run the whole book 4 color.  So it pays to go with a 4-color press or whatever the term is--Mark Kronquist can fill in the details.

We do exist in a niche market, and I have heard that part of Focal has not been doing well.

Speaking of niche markets, I had one anonymous reviewer of my gum book proposal say that the market for my gum book would be only 200 or less.  I think this was an exaggeration of the niche market we live in.  Certainly a press run of only 2000-5000 is in order (it's not like we are Robert Frank), but I have sold close to 500 of my books on Malin Fabbri's website alone--the power of the web (and Malin's visibility!) for authors.  I would definitely recommend Malin's site as one with huge visibility in our niche.

But, gum compared to platinum, Dick would have a WAY bigger market out there as my guess is there are more platinum printers than gummists worldwide, even though gum is growing.

Sounds to me like Dick should just update the book, put out a call for images, hire a graphic designer to do the layout for him, and self-publish a small press run.  Just what he wants to do in his retirement phase, right?

Then again, Dick could store up a selection of his book, wait for it to go sky high on Abebooks, and sell it and make $$.  I bought Peter Frederick's out of print book on there for $75 back in 2003! People who are into platinum collect platinum books, etc. etc.  I have all the out of print books I can find, and on platinum, too. Sometimes if you're lucky you can get a real deal! And maybe now the word is out his book is out of print, its value will instantly increase.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson