U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: How large without a preshrink?

Re: How large without a preshrink?

Hi Paul,
I find that anything over 8x10 is problematic.  My gum prints are usually on 15x22 paper (half a sheet) and even with shrinking, the long side with multi layers will be off 1/16".  This is not only due to shrinking though with repeated washing, but due to the thicker gum which sucks up the paper a bit. You can see this on the back of the print--the areas with heavy layers are sort of indented and in reverse relief, if I can describe it that way.  Even with ironing the print between coats, which I do on my kitchen counter (the only ironing I ever do--I don't have a dry mount press at home) that relief is still there.

I have no problem, though, sizing unshrunk paper and then shrinking afterwards if, say, I have extra size and no more shrunk paper to coat.

I have heard of those who do not shrink at all with Fabriano Artistico but that doesn't work for me very well...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson