[alt-photo] Re: BLEEDIN' PT/PD PRINTS

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Dec 11 16:10:52 GMT 2009

Yes, Bob,
It was me, actually...
And boy was it a PITA.
It never happened before and I always used Arches Platine.  Then last year or so ago it happened continually on the same paper.  I then went and tested different papers, adding water to the coating solution, adding Everclear, methylated alcohol, Tween, etc.  This is what I ended up doing. Also, below are some notes from the list on this topic that I saved in a file.  OH, when I bought the new ferric and tested it I got no bleeding but when I went back to an old batch of Platine I got bleeding again so...the best I could figure was it was a combo of paper sizing change, old ferric, not enough humidity, droppers being different...

Switched to Cot 320.
Switched from ammonium citrate to warm potassium oxalate developer.
Bought new ferric oxalate.
Found that more ferric, more bleed occurred.
Checked to make sure my eye droppers were the same drop size so I wasn't going overboard on pt/pd or ferric.
Bought a humidifier for my dimroom and made sure the solution was absorbed into the paper instead of sitting on top.
Switched to Heico Permawash
Chris
Notes from list:

Try adding a LITTLE Everclear (ethanol) to your sensitizer. I use it at a rate of about 5 drops per every ml of sensitizer. (Kerik)

     I have not seen bleeding with platine in quite some time. . If your blacks are good and rich but just not sticking to the paper, I'd look at your soaking and drying as the problem. If your blacks are weak and you are getting wash off, you may indeed look to your ferric.  I would also suggest adding some Oxalic Acid to the ferric and see what that does. (Eric)

     I was struck by the fact that you do NOT use a hair dryer on low setting to dryyour coated paper.  I do the following and have NEVER had any bleeding.Yes, I know I live where the humidity in my darkroom hovers between 50 and 55% year round but try this anyhow.1) Coat as you usually do. 2) I wait at least a few minutes for the solution to soak into the paper. It shouldn't look "wet" or shiny any more...just feel very damp. 3) I use a hair dryer at low setting dry the paper using circular sweeping motions on both the coated and back side of the paper. 4) I hang the paper in the darkroom for around 10 minutes for everything to stabilize and even out. 5) I then re-moisten it holding it high above a steaming pot of water.  I do this just until the paper goes slightly limp and loses its strong dry feeling. 6) Again, I leave the paper just a minute to stabilize and even out. 7) Voila: Good D-max, clean highlights, decent contrast, and no bleeding. (from none other than you, BOB!)

     Not sure about the bleeding issue since this is something I have not  experienced. It could be an old developer issue, or a paper issue,  just don't know. (Sandy)

Christina Z. Anderson

christinaZanderson.com