[alt-photo] Re: How do you reproduce your work?

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Mon Dec 28 08:38:16 GMT 2009

Hi Sam,

First, I see that you use gmail. That's a side effect of using gmail (I mean
not getting back your own messages). If you use the web interface your
message to the list shows up in the thread (because you compose it there)
but if you use an external mail client (such as Outlook) you don't get back
your messages and since it wasn't composed in the thread view you can't see
it in the thread where it belongs. You can find it in the sent mail folder
only. I wasn't experiencing such a weird issue before migrating to gmail;
for me that behaviour started with gmail...

As for the borders and (most importantly) paper base issue. I choose to show
or not the borders according to image and context, there are no set rules.
OTOH, I always prefer to translate the image with true paper base showing.
For that purpose I scan (or photograph) the print by putting a small piece
of Yupo (very bright and neutral paper) at one side. I then set the white
point from Yupo. (After averaging, I don't use point sample...) I do similar
thing for the blacks, I have a fully exposed and developed piece of glossy
piece s/g paper which is affixed to the Yupo, I set the black point using
that. For the moment I don't print with a process which is capable of
surpassing the blacks I can get from s/g paper. That way, I have a pretty
correct reproduction of the print. (My scanner is IT8 calibrated BTW.
Digital camera is easy; I just make custom white balance setting with a gray
card or by the yupo piece...)

Regards,
Loris.