[alt-photo] Re: Pictorialism show - or, not the worst place to ink a bromoil

Kees Brandenburg ctb at zeelandnet.nl
Sun Apr 4 15:20:14 GMT 2010

> There's a great Pictorialism show at the Dutch Rembrandthuis...12 Dutch photographers searching for the Rembrandt atmosphere in early photography in 100 images
>  Jacques Verschuren

Thanks for mentioning this Jacques,

There's also an english version:
http://www.rembrandthuis.nl/cms_pages/index_sub.php?url=actueel_en.php&path=1,0,0&nav_lang=en

The exhibition shows indeed a wide selection of Dutch pictorialist photographers from the late 19th and the early 20th century. The exhibition consists of prints from the Leiden University Special Collections. Their photocollection is the oldest institutional photocollection in the Netherlands. An important focus of the collection has allways been technique oriented. Thats why there are  large numbers of gum, platinum carbon and bromoilprints  on display in the Rembrandthouse.

I have been at the opening, last wednesday, and if anyone is going to the Netherlands it's absolutely worth a visit. The Rembrandthouse is the house Rembrandt worked and lived. You  can also visit the house and Rembrandt's studio where he painted many of his works.

If you visit the exhibition don't miss the introduction film on display there. In this film you can, among other information, see me inking a bromoil. And where was I asked to do this? Yes... in  Rembrandt's studio!

If you have some more time left, don't miss another interesting exhibition in Amsterdam. At a walking distance from the Rembrandthouse you can visit: Amsterdam 1845 – 1875, The First Photographs, on display in the Municipal Archives. The exhibition is around a series of early photographs Benjamin Brecknell Turner made in Amsterdam, but shows many more prints by local and foreign photographers from these years.

http://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/english/exhibitions/index.en.html

In The Hague you can still (until April 16) visit another selection from the Leiden collection: Fotografie! With a selection as wide as the history of photography: from daguerreotyps to contemporary prints (even gum).

http://tinyurl.com/yefbmew

kees