[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Fri Apr 16 02:20:29 GMT 2010

According to Bea Nettles, the sensitizer in Kwik Print was
dichromate, and according to the Focal Encyclopedia of Photography,
Kwik-Print was a dichromated colloid method, and according to
"Overexposure: Health hazards in Photography, by Shaw, Shaw and
Rossol, the colloid was gum arabic.  It seems improbable to me,
because the printing surface most often used was vinyl, in fact if I
remember right, the kit came with plastic sheets to print on, and
dichromated gum would not coat well on vinyl, nor would the hardened
gum be likely to adhere through the development bath.   So I'm not
entirely sure I believe the sources, but that's what they say.  The
system was last marketed by Light Impressions, so maybe someone there
would be able to tell you more about its chemical composition.  I'd
be interested, if you found out anything.
Katharine