[alt-photo] Re: Metal halide lamps in plate burners and ozone???

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Fri Apr 16 14:12:35 GMT 2010

DEAR LORIS,
	Please note that there is a fan built into the top of the light
housing holding the lamp and reflector and I have another exhaust fan built
into my darkroom ceiling which pulls darkroom air out the top and blows it
outside my roof.
	I haven't paid attention to the fan in the light housing so I
haven't noticed if it changed speed during exposure.  I believe its purpose
is to keep the metal halide bulb (NP80 in our case) from overheating by
circulating air around it.
	Ozone is hard to describe...it has a sort of sweet but bitter smell.
You can sometimes smell it after lightning strikes during a storm.  Also, if
you have an electronic flash of any reasonable power, you can smell ozone
rising above it right after a flash.
Some people think it has positive health effects but the research shows that
repeated exposure to higher concentrations can cause health problems.
		CHEERS!
			BOB