[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Peter Friderichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 16 21:27:11 GMT 2010

Hi Sam,

The autotype patent that I refer to specifically mentions the use
of  ferric salt, pigmented gelatin, and hydrogen peroxide for
developing the image. There is no mention of casein in this patent.
The patent also mentions that the process of "tanning" i.e. hardening
gelatin by this method is "well known". It was that mention of
tanning gelatin that had me wanting to do some tests using gelatin
and other  natural protein materials i.e. casein, soy and gum arabic.
I then came across Halvor's Chiba system document.

Re patent, search for GB665649 (GB is Great Britian) at the espacenet web site.

Thanks for the additional information on Franklin Enos. I did see his
name mentioned in some research I did on casein printing although I
never did come across any of his prints which would have been interesting.

I have not had a staining problem and have done tri-colour prints.
The paper I am using right now is sized as purchased (Fabriano extra
white -hot pressed) I was told it is internally sized with a waxy
emulsion called AKD. I have not tried hardened gelatin sized paper
but I wish to do this at some point.

I will be brief (as possible).  First, I prefer the green ferric
ammonium citrate (FAC) as a 20% solution since it is more light
sensitive, and for some reason allows for a smoother coat (I have
tried the brown variety). There is one major problem that must be
overcome however. FAC is somewhat acidic and it will cause the casein
to curdle. You need to modify the FAC by upping the ph. You must
alkalize the working sensitizer solution to get the pH up to about 6
to 6.5.(I use a pool test kit which has phenol red as a pH indicator)
You can go higher but it will hinder the sensitivity. The FAC
solution will shift in colour slightly towards yellow-green. I use
ammonium bicarbonate as the alkalizer which I can get at retail food
stores. You can use sodium bicarbonate but the sodium seems to
interfere with the speed, but it still works. If you go too alkaline
just get it back with a little citric acid.

I use a 5% casein solution made from skim milk/vinegar. It is
dissolved with a small amount of sodium bicarbonate to get it into
solution. I make sure the final pH is around 7.

The peroxide needed is very dilute (0.1%) If you go above 3% the
print actually will not develop as well, and it wastes a lot. )
0.1-1% range is good. You can add a small bit of ammonia to help with
dissolving the emulsion (as you know).

I use a 1:1 casein/sensitizer ratio.

I hope this will help.

Peter Friedrichsen