[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Peter Friderichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 18 22:54:34 GMT 2010

Kees,

To mildly hydrolyse the gelatin, you can either acidify, or alkalize
it, then heat it for a limited time, or use an enzyme like that from
fresh pineapple. They all seem to result in different surface
properties of the gelatin which now is liquid at room temperature and
whose prints produced from such, can be developed at room
temperature.  M. Carey Lea first made something like this which he
called meta-gelatine.

You can keep this for some time at room temperature if you add the
right preservative, but like any gelatin in solution, it will slowly
auto-hydrolyse (much slower if kept cold), and the result will be
weak prints. At room temperature, I find it works well for about 6
weeks. Gum arabic as you know seems to last much longer if preserved.

Peter Friedrichsen