[alt-photo] Re: new MFA program in alt!

David Ashcraft davidashcraft at sti.net
Tue Apr 20 01:02:40 GMT 2010

Big or small there so many bad, mediocre, and crappy photographs out
there in the world with no end insight now with the ease at which they
can be "captured" and printed or displayed on the web.  Fortunately,
inkjet prints don't last very long.  RIT and Wilhelm ratings permit a
35% fade rate before the end point is reached.  This means if it is
rated at 100 yrs that the ink has faded 35%.  See, you can get
something for free: insurance that the future will be spared the eye
pain!  As for big art: statues, murals, etc... it goes back thousands
of years.

At our community college we still have a darkroom and also offer an
alt class.  My frustration with the program is most instructors have
moved to digital themselves and only two of us have a fine art
background in photography.  With the cuts I will probably not be
teaching there anymore.  But just like this group others will continue
with traditional photography - I hope!

At the risk of sounding like someone with multiple personalities; I
don't really have much of a problem with digital photography.  Partly
because I'm not forced to use it and that the shortcomings IMO will
eventually be worked out.  Besides it's not that it's digital or an
inkjet print, it's that it is boring photography most of the time.
With minimal investment of time, thought, and money anyone can make
better quality photographs now than before digital.  This does not
guarantee it will be better aesthetically!  Personally I don't care
for the way inkjet looks, I prefer the way continuous tone prints look
and feel to my eye, sooo sexy.

Now for my confession: I make large inkjet prints, my biggest seller
by far is one.  The people who buy the large prints have large spaces
they want to fill with art.  I have been invited to their homes and
offices to advise and hang the artwork for them and I would not
recommend to most of them to hang several small artworks because it
just would not look good.  I also make small prints - smaller than
8x10, because it looks better and works at that  size.  Can you
imagine music without a full orchestra or a solo; ff and pp?  The
photography I enjoy the most doesn't sell nearly as well as the other
but with what money I make I am able to keep making what I love best
whether anybody else likes it or not.  Photography is my mistress;
there, I admit it and she can do no wrong!

Please keep this confession confidential.  Also, I reserve the right
to change my opinion and mistress at any time!

David