[alt-photo] Re: IDEA? NEW ALT PHOTO BOOK

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 23 18:33:31 GMT 2010

Well, I've commented on this before, but I'll just say again that I
use PVA only on BFK Rives, which really seems to absorb it-- rather
than sort of lay up on top of it (as I felt it did with Fabriano,
specifically).  In fact, if Fabriano was the only paper I was using, I
would not use PVA.  I did think the gelatin/glut performed more to my
liking when using the Fabriano.  No matter the amount of dilution I
tried, I did not like the way it never seemed to absorb into the
paper, but-- as I said-- simply sit on top of it.  And the final look
was very different from the way it looks with Rives.  I don't even
dilute it with Rives, but I don't get that hard plastic sort of
coating at all, as I seemed to with the Fabriano--   With the Rives, I
get only a very slight sheen that I actually like and that is really
only noticeable if holding the paper at an angle.  I recently tried
PVA with some Hahnemuhle German Etching paper where it worked in much
the same way as the Rives.  I really liked that, too-- in fact,
better-- and, for me anyway, so far superior to gelatin/glut.    I
also had much less staining, once I started using the PVA.   So-- a
completely opposite experience here.

But it's obvious that the PVA works quite differently on different
papers.  As I said, I personally hated PVA with the Fabriano-- didn't
like the look or the feel.  And Chris, your comment that you actually
found "layers still manipulatable"  or fragile when put back into the
water, I find really interesting.  I've actually attempted to do that
a couple of times, with absolutely no success-- those layers wouldn't
budge.

Interestingly, I have coated Rives with PVA and then put the coated
papers aside to return to them later.  A couple of times, I had a
paper sitting there and hadn't marked that I'd already coated it, and
I had to look really carefully, because I just couldn't see that I'd
done it.  So it must really absorb it very differently. That would
make for an interesting test, trying it out among all these papers and
other substrates, because when I read some of these posts, it's as
though people are talking about a totally different product.

Diana