[alt-photo] Re: IDEA? NEW ALT PHOTO BOOK

Keith Gerling keith.gerling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 18:41:49 GMT 2010

A very nice summary, Katherine.  However, can you explain this?  In the
process of clearing the third or fourth layer of a print, I've had the
previous two or three layers suddenly go soft and slough off the surface (or
at least threaten to do so.  For instance, I might spray a print in an
effort to clear some highlight and see gum blow completely off the surface
wherever a larger droplet might hit).    I've never seen this happen with
gelatin sized prints.  in my experience, there has always been a sacrosanct
understanding between me and the print, that a cleared, hardened and dried
layer was "permanent" and would not loosen and go weak.  Any amount of
scrubbing on further layers would not disrupt the previous hardened layers.

If the gum is attaching to the fibers, and not to the PVA size, then it
would seem that this loosening would not happen. The effect I observe
appears very much as if the PVA sits BETWEEN the fibers and the gum, the PVA
softens, and the whole shebang lifts off.  I don't think gelatin and PVA
size in the same way.

Keith