[alt-photo] Re: Albumen, Cyano, larger printers - oh my!

Earl and Patty Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 21:52:13 GMT 2010

I get good results coating with a glass rod when I put down a bead of sensitizer that takes 5 strokes to use up. I follow Mike Ware's instructions. I tape the paper to a level sheet of glass - the hard surface and the levelness seem to make a difference. I use a light touch with the glass rod - each successive pass gets less pressure and a little more speed. It is easy to do once you get the hang of it. The trick is to get the right amount in the bead in front of the rod, and to do everything quickly, with no delay.

I have not done many albumen prints, but I have done quite a few salted paper prints. The gold toning makes a big difference. I use the gold/thiourea toner that Wynn White recommends in his article A Dash of Salt. The prints do not fade in the fix if they are gold toned before the fix. Also, the first rinse should be in salt water with a touch of citric acid. Since albumen is a special case of a salt print, I assume that albumen prints work the same way.

Earl Johnson