[alt-photo] Re: 3 questions

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Fri Apr 23 22:07:16 GMT 2010

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk at ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: 3 questions
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:47:18 -0700

> 1, There are a couple of good articles on gelatin and
> specfically hydrolysed gelatin findable via Google. Jello is
> hydrolysed gelatin.

Hydrolysis has a specific chemical meaning as described by
Tomas but in the context of "hydrolyzed gelatin" I think the
meaning is blurred and rather arbitrary.

Gelatin is a form of hydrolyzed collagen, and gelatin can be
further hydrolyzed to various degrees. What would be
unhydrolyzed gelatin? I can't think of any good example. Then,
how hydrolyzed gelatin is different from gelatin?

In the contexts of dietary supplements, they are concerned
about digestibility. Smaller molecules are easier to
digest. So that may be what they mean, but in terms of
photographic chemistry, such thing would be more appropriately
called degraded gelatin.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"The purpose of art is not the momentary ejection of adrenaline,