[alt-photo] Re: gold process

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Wed Apr 28 13:09:26 GMT 2010

I agree, Alberto...

I was hoping that you would know since you both come from the same country and maybe he lectured at your group.

I see that he was teaching his process at a school in the eastern part of the US this year. So he was sharing it somewhere. But he has not posted it on alternativephotography.com nor on his website. (Then again I have been accused of blabbing all my "secrets" everywhere. My philosophy has always been there is enough of the pie to go around, and no one is going to do my work with a process, only their own work with a process, and many will do it better. In the latter case, you have contributed to photography then!)

I am interested to know if it is chromo chemistry (which you can get a bronze/gold image with) or "pseudo lith" chemistry which produces a gold image but not metallic gold, just a golden yellow flat color like a print that has been not fully bleached by potassium ferricyanide. If I saw a print in person I could figure that part out (metallic vs. flat).  The problem with chromo is it does NOT scan so what you see from a scan will not look silver so his could be either. I have only gotten a true silver looking photograph of a chromo if I photograph it obliquely with a camera and then correct perspective in Photoshop. The only image in my Photo Technique chromo article (p. 18) that comes close is the image of PDN digital step wedges! Oh, one I photographed wet, and that worked, but it was a student image not in the article.

It could be he is using a form of halochrome.  Chromo uses potassium hydroxide and acetate buffered thiocyanate as the main ingredients. Halochrome uses ammonium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide among other unmentioned ingredients. The difference being that halochrome (so the description says) will plate silver out where there is black (see http://freestylephoto.biz/18383-Rockland-Colloid-Halochrome-makes-1-2-Gallon) and chromo only does it where there is white, unless, I suppose, you printed out a positive of the image of course.

But I have not done halochrome, just pseudolith and chromo.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com