[alt-photo] Re: Stoichiometry for the nonscientist

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Mon Aug 2 15:34:45 GMT 2010

David wrote:

>It seems this hole is much deeper than what was represented
>originally.  I can see why prepackaged kits are so popular.
>You went from gms to ml?

To get the right amounts of the reactants, you necessarily must mess
with the molecular weights of the compounds involved.  You can do
this every time you have a reaction to conduct, or you can do it
beforehand by making up solutions that are based not on absolute
weight but rather on molecular weight.  That's all.  If you follow
along, I believe the previous e-mail explained clearly how to get
from grams to ml.

And yes, mixing from a kit is easier than calculating reactions, and
you don't have to worry about fizzing (or worse) from evolved gasses
or the need for ice baths to keep temperatures from running
away.  With potassium oxalate, you don't even need a kit -- just buy
potassium oxalate (preferably, from a reputable scientific supplier
like Malinckrodt Baker, so you know exactly what you have).

Best regards,

etienne