[alt-photo] Re: Gum solution help needed

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Sun Aug 8 13:47:17 GMT 2010

  FWIW, formalin indeed preserve the gum solution, BUT, you have to use
it up relatively quickly: Formalin will evaporate slowly, to the point
of not being able to protect your solution - especially true in case
there's a little remainder solution in a large container. At least
that's my experience...

Therefore, my preference is towards dry / soluble preservators. I
personally use sodium benzoate, but aspirin looks definitely very
interesting - especially for people who don't want to purchase / stock
an extra chemical (such as thymol + alcohol or sodium benzoate or the
dangerous mercuric chloride) in order to preserve their gum solutions.
(E.g. students, workshop participants et. al. ...)

Thanks Philippe.

Regards,
Loris.

08.08.2010 15:35, John Brewer yazmış: