[alt-photo] Re: Trying to understand how ferric chloride reacts with gum arabic

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Wed Dec 8 12:58:34 GMT 2010

Hi Michael,

I saw your articles, and the forum discussion, about this process on alternativephotography.com too. As I am working with Halvor Björngårds ferric approach to carbon printing I also am interested in other ferric (direct) carbon techniques. I experimented too with different mixes of ferric chloride and ferric ammonium citrate. The reason I did that was that I had found a patent that explained a method of mixing a simple and complex ferric salt to better control the hardening of colloids. The advantage acording to the patent was a higher light sensitivety whithout the immediate hardening that occurs when ferric chloride is mixed in the pigmented gelatin for carbon. But.... it didn't work very well. So I continued working with the ferric ammonium citrate alone.

So I do have some experience with ferric hardening of colloids.
The direct carbon ferric chloride technique you describe also reminds me of other direct carbon techniques where a coat of dichromate is exposed and pigmented gum is brushed over it. Here the hardening compound is allso diffusing in the colloïd.
This principle works also with cyanotype itself (but maybe not by diffusion). Coat a paper with solution A, dry and expose and brush (locally!) solution B over it. Fun to do!

The colour change in the ferric salt/ colloïd mix I also encountered. It is  a stain that is very difficult to clear from the paper base. I once tried to make a ferric oilprint paper with a heavy unpigmented gelatin. After exposure there is a serious relief, but also a very dark stain. When I experimented with mixing ferric chloride / ferric citrate mix in a warm liquid gelatin, the resulting mess was also almost brown.

Kees