[alt-photo] vandyke brown follow-up

francis schanberger frangst at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:24:52 GMT 2010

Sorry for not replying earlier regarding some of the vandyke brown problems
and questions.

I have been using both Photographers Formulary and Bostick and Sullivan
Ferric Ammonium Citrate. I probably will be buying a bit from Art Craft
later this month.

Regarding the massive amount of precipitate, much of it may have resulted
from adding too much silver and adding it too quickly. I have a cheat sheet
in which I halve or cut into thirds the Christopher James recipe and it is
pure chaos. I may have added 3x more silver than I should have.

Regardig the iron stains, I am now doing two preemptive pinch of citric acid
washes prior to fix. So far so good or so good so far.

I made another batch of vdb solution and added the AgNO3 solution drop by
drop. It's better but I would like to try a magnetic stirrer. I miss the old
days working in the lab using a glass beaker and mag stirrer hot plate, and
wahsing the white plastic stir bar down the sink.

--
francis schanberger

www.frangst.com