[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

geoff at geoffgallery.net geoff at geoffgallery.net
Wed Feb 10 00:12:23 GMT 2010

Both paraffin and beeswax are readily available - for example Atlantis Art
Supplies in London, UK.

Not all of us are wedded to computers for our negatives - I use LF in
camera negs and also analogue enlarged negs from 35mm. The latter use a
paper inter-positive (i.e. RC coated paper normal print) to produce the
enlarged neg. There is no noticeable loss of sharpness using this type of
peper neg. The RC interpos does not need waxing (and it doesn't help if you
do it).

Where paper negs do produce a softer image is of course when an ordinary
(non-photo) paper material is used - e.g. calotype or liquid emulsion
coated paper. The print then carries the image from the paper neg plus an
image of the paper material itself.

Another way to soften the image - often used by those who practice
(analogue) uncharp marking - is to put a thin film of clear acetate between
the neg and pos.

Geoff