[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 15 01:47:54 GMT 2010

Hi Dan,

Well, not to beat a dead horse here (though I may be too late), I have
actually noticed this a lot lately-- and on closer inspection, the
work described as such is nearly always solely digital.

But what caught my eye this time was someone who lives in my general
area (which is why I won't provide the link here, but I'll send it to
you off-list), who is presiding over some public art event, and touted
not only as someone who is adept at digital, but also as someone who
is knowledgeable in "alternative chemical processes."  The added word
of "chemical" made it unambiguous to my mind.

Where I live, those of us who do hand-applied alt processes seem to be
few and far between, so most of us know each other-- or are certainly
aware of each other's work, even if we haven't actually met.  So since
I'd never heard of this person-- I was intrigued.  I had no idea there
was someone so close by, also doing alt processes.  Naturally, I go
into the website.  I first looked at the work, which I really liked
and found pretty interesting.  However, none of the images is labeled
as to process.  So I then go into the bio, and this person is
described as a "digital artist and printmaker."  But the bio goes on
to say that for the last decade, the imagery is done "entirely using
digital processing  . . . while further extending an interest in
alternative processes."   Later, Adobe Photoshop and Corel are
mentioned as the "tools" this person uses to create the images.

The impression I got from reading all this, is that this person likes
alternative processes and might certainly have a "knowledge" of them
(which I do think differs from actually carrying out the work itself),
and maybe even did some at one point-- and that interest has carried
over into influencing the current work (all printed digitally).  If
there is, indeed, any hand-applied process added to these digital
prints, I think it would have been mentioned.  I'm not even sure it
could be classified as "mixed media," because I really think it's  all
digital.

I do think this is manipulative use of language, and and attempt to,
perhaps, alter how we understand and view photographic prints-- and
also have us view digital "printmaking" as something other than what
it is.  In this particular instance, one has to read closely to see
what this person is actually saying about the work.

Though I do digital printing myself and see no issue with doing so, I
damn well know the difference between a print that rolls off that
printer and one that is painstakingly hand-applied and created, from
start to finish.  I personally find alt process printing to be
extremely rewarding, on many levels.  I like doing it;  I like the
creativity involved, the infinite possibilities for interpretation,
the feel of the brush and the paper and mixing the chemicals, and I
like the challenge.  I would never call my final alt-process prints
digital prints, or even digitally-inspired, simply because they're
not. So why imply that a digital print is somehow an alternative
process print?

  Again, to educate the general public and even some gallery owners
and/or curators about this sort of printing sometimes seems like an
ongoing, never-ending job in itself.  So when self-described digital
"printmakers" come along and use subtle (or, not so subtle) language
to somehow elevate what is a digital print (no matter how well it's
done), I find just mind-boggling-- and it serves to further confuse
those who are already confused about these ancient printing processes.

Whew. That's how I see it, anyway.  I'll send you the link off-list.

Diana