[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

Laura V laura at lavatop.com
Mon Feb 15 17:46:02 GMT 2010

I just call myself a printmaker (at least when talking to ordinary
folks). If someone wants to know more, I explain the process. I've also
used the term "handmade photos" as the heading of my press release when
I had an exhibition, and the text explained the process. If I were
contacting a gallery, I would just say they are gum bichromate prints.
They are done with digital negs, but that's just part of my process -
they are still gum bichromates and still handmade prints. I wouldn't
consider an ink jet print "printmaking" or handmade, and each print is
not unique. I've used the term archival inkjet print before to describe
inkjet prints done on fine art paper and see nothing demeaning about
that term. The person buying it is getting a good quality piece of
art...not one of a kind, but not mass-produced like a poster on
commercial paper, so I guess that's the "alternative" part. I agree that
it's misleading though.
Laura