[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative Printing": Terms to define

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Mon Feb 15 21:56:27 GMT 2010

Loris wrote:

>Well, to me pinhole is not an alternative process. Pinhole is
>pinhole; already something in itself. X-ray, UV, IR, toy cameras,
>lensbaby, self-made optics, photograms/shadowgrams and pinhole (and
>...???) are indeed alternative imaging methods, OTOH they're not
>printing methods. "Alternative Process" to me is something about the
>"medium / object". Those listed above belong to the category of
>"Alternative Photography"...

It appears to me that this view is rooted in art history, where the
description of an artwork applies to the artifact itself -- oil on
canvas, acrylic on masonite, found objects on nylon mesh, etc. --
because, for the traditional visual arts, that's pretty much all
there is.  Photography adds the imaging process, which has no analog
in most traditional visual art [but see next sentence], raising the
question of whether something about it should be included in the
description.  There is analogous precedent for this, even in the
traditional visual arts -- for example, dry point etchings are
generally distinguished from chemical etchings, notwithstanding that
the actual printmaking process (inking and pressing the etched plate)
are the same.  So, I see no a priori reason that the imaging process
shouldn't be considered in the description of the photographic
process that led to a photographic artifact.

Consider the name of this very list -- it is the alternative
*photographic* process mailing list, NOT the alternative
*printmaking* process list.  To my mind, alternative imaging
processes ARE alternative *photographic* processes, even if they
aren't alternative *printmaking* processes.  Therefore, the question
to my mind is, what imaging and printmaking techniques qualify as
"alt"?  I doubt I will ever consider SG to be alt in my lifetime, but
in 80 years, who knows?  (I do on occasion coat my own SG plates and
paper, but even then I consider it quasi-alt rather than legitimate alt.)

Happily, there is no need for us to agree on this, as long as people
don't post snippy, "that's off-topic -- go away" responses when
someone brings up the sorts of topics Loris listed above -- which I
have not seen happen.

Best regards,

etienne