[alt-photo] Re: Prints on Aluminum- response

Rajul eyeear at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 22 00:50:20 GMT 2010

Hi Andy, Loris and  Diana,

Thank you all for your comments - yes, the real prints do indeed look
a lot better.

The web images are not too bad, considering that this is my first
foray into creating a website. I have overlooked many details that
should have been included but I kept running up against problems
while editing the contents.

Aluminum plates are lightly but uniformly roughed up with sand paper,
washed with dilute detergent, dried, wiped clean with 99% isopropyl
alcohol before use. The plate size is ~11.5" square, permitting a
print size of ~ 8 x 10.5".

Ground mix:
  			20g Stevenson's Acrylic gesso
			50 ml water
			 25 ml gum arabic (I use Senefelder's)
			 50 ml Gamblin PVA size
			 15 g sieved Sand Flour ( I sieve it through fine nylon mesh)

After mixing the above, once again filter through the nylon mesh
before coating.

Coating of the mix is done with ~1" diameter plastic tubes that are
11" long. I pour about 10 ml. of the mix along one
edge of the plate and roll it back with the tube to the closer edge,
then gently push it to the opposite end till a thin, even layer is
obtained. This is dried with a hot hair dryer, allowed to air dry
overnight, then UV'd for 2'.

ANDY, how do you sub with "normal" albumin? Could you describe this
method and what it is used for? Thanks.

Loris,
Cyano (traditional) was a synch, once I included PVA (2 PVA :1 of the
rest of the ingredients). Without PVA, the
surface degrades on application of the emulsion. The latter s/b done
VERY gently with a wetted "Richeson" type brush. Do NOT pour on the
emulsion, dip the wetted brush in the container with containing it
and brush back and  forth GENTLY. Doing a cyano before gum makes
registration easy and permits gum passes using saturated AD.

Hope this helps.

Rajul