[alt-photo] Re: ARCHIVALITY

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue Feb 23 08:15:16 GMT 2010

Judy, it's not (only) about "lasting more than your physiological presence
and/or taking your part in history" but also there are the facts:

1. If you sell prints, you need a certain longevity rating and,
2. People (buyers) often ask about longevity (probably because photography
has been already stigmatized for not being an overly stable medium) and it's
not neat to shrug and say "I don't know" or simply lie.

In short; you have to give buyers some figures (according to display/storage
conditions) that reflect reality, I mean if you want to keep your
credibility. Plus, as an *extra* selling point, those figures has to be
better than (or at least equal to) what is currently effective for ordinary
/ mainstream digital prints.

Regards,
Loris.