[alt-photo] Re: quick question re gum clearing

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Tue Jan 5 04:49:43 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Christina Anderson wrote:

> I never clear, Paul, now that I have decreased my dichromate to 15% am
> di and don't overexpose. It never seems to need it stainwise and
> archivally it doesn't either. Chris
>
> Christina Z. Anderson
> christinaZanderson.com

I got the feeling in early days of "alt" that "clearing" was a hold-over
from folks accustomed to fixing silver-gelatin. In fact in some early
e-mails (also some texts) I recall it being called "fixing."

It was generally accepted that leaving fixer in silver gelatin prints
would degrade them. There may have been a kind of mental transfer from
finishing silver-gelatin to finishing alt. (And, like I said, that final
wash was sometimes called "fixing"...) It was probably important to clear
VDB, and cyanotype could also degrade, but with gum -- maybe not (if you
didn't mind the stain).

Not to mention that if dichromate stain did appear in a gum print it could
be removed in a plain water soak. I do vaguely recall a test leaving
dichromate stain in half a print and checking (maybe a few months) later.
It was fine... I also found that a print with the "white" stained yellow
from dichromate could be cleared in an hour or two of plain water soak. On
the third hand, it's not so easy to get "dichromate stain" when you want
it (easier when you don't).

Judy