[alt-photo] Re: potassium hexacholorplatinate?

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 9 17:30:58 GMT 2010

Dan,

I am not sure about solubility of K2PtCl6, if my memory serves me it is low, but I do not have the reference handy. That is why Na2PtCL6 is used as a contrasting agent, it is very soluble. WIth the respect to chemical behaviour Na2PtCL6 and K2PtCL6 are very much alike. My suspition is that it would give very, very contrasty prints (solubility issue aside).

>From the chemistry standpoint it is a starting material in the preparation of proper platinum printing salt, K2PtCl4. As Loris noted all this because of different oxidation states of platinum.
Marek