[alt-photo] Re: pre-shrinking paper

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Mon Jan 18 19:31:55 GMT 2010

Francis and Cor,
This too is the bain of my existence.  If I lose a gum print it is ONLY to registration issues.  But what I find I can do is take a damp sponge and wet the back of the print lightly while the negative is taped in place, and as soon as the paper relaxes enough to fit the negative, into the contact frame it goes.  It works great.

I have never had a print expand, only shrink, and no matter how much you soak the paper, the more and more gum you put on top the more the paper schloops up a bit as you can see by the shadow areas on the back of the print which form an indented relief.  Thus the damp sponge...

There was one gummist in the 70's or 80's--get this--who used to print his successive negs a tad bit smaller!!!

My eyes are PEELED on Haiti--husband is there as medic in a convoy of 40 trucks.  Oh my...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com