[alt-photo] Re: potassium phosphate

EJ Photo ejnphoto at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 1 03:54:14 GMT 2010

This might seem blasphemous to some, but when you all refer to B&S gold and
the formula on B&S it does neither myself NOR the reader any good without
going to ... you guessed it B&S web site or reference material. Some of us,
DO NOT bother with it. This is just to say that a formula given, is much
easy to refer to than another link or site not actually in the email.

Using the oxalic acid alone as .... ?? the developer?  Yes. How much? well,
you kind a knew the answer right  :< )  testing. The use of potassium
carbonate and oxalic acid is what makes potassium oxalate. At a certain
point the available potassium carbonate is used up, then the extra oxalic
acid is now acidifying the solution and additional amount in reserve keep
the paper from allowing it to get to alkaline.

As the developer gets weaker, or less active you give more exposure. More
exposure can change??? well, moisture in the paper if not sealed well, heat
of the paper, .. 5% gold what? there are several formulas that one can use
and in my experience, there can be a difference in color with these formula
as there can be changes, as a kin to those due to the change from sodium to
ammonium.

There is a lot of choice when it comes to just how that print gets made. It
is a lot of fun. Enjoy.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9