[alt-photo] Re: evaporation of gum mixture

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Fri Jul 2 21:42:51 GMT 2010

Hmm, that's interesting.  I know nothing about what Formulary is
selling for gum now, since I quit buying gum from them when they
switched from a gum I really loved to a dark gummy gum for their
premium gum and continued charging a premium price for it.  That was
some years back, and as I said, I know nothing of their present gum.
The only gum I've seen this happen with is Daniel Smith premium gum,
and it's been a continuing problem with DS gum since I started using
it 3-4 years ago.  Exact same containers  that I've always kept my
gum-pigment mix in, but with other gums I've never had this
evaporation problem.  With the Daniel Smith gum it's so pronounced
that  the mixes have become  more viscous within a short time and
dried out altogether within a few months, so I've had to throw out
the mixes, which is very annoying because it's extremely wasteful of
pigment.  In the beginning,  I thought it was because the workshop in
which I was doing gum  at the time  I switched to Daniel Smith had a
bank of west-facing windows that didn't open, and it got very hot in
there on summer afternoons.  But the problem continued unchanged when
I moved to my present digs, where the gum workroom is in a cool
basement, so I'm convinced it's the gum (and besides, mixes made with
other gums and stored in the same containers survived that hot
workroom quite well and remain  fresh and nicely pourable to this day).

Whether you can reverse the problem by adding water is  a good
question;  in my case,  by the time I noticed the increased
viscosity, it was too late; adding water usually wasn't a
satisfactory solution because the mix had gotten gummier and the
water didn't mix in well.   But if you catch it fast enough, as
you're doing by measuring the loss, it seems as if it should work.

Hope any of that is helpful,
katharine