[alt-photo] Re: salt prints

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Mon Jul 5 20:32:06 GMT 2010

Margaret wrote:

>I am having some trouble with salt prints I made about 4 years ago,
>some of them are starting to lose detail, for example the faces in
>one portrait are starting to disappear, not fading exactly just loosing detail.
>Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem.

You do not mention whether the prints were toned.  If they were not,
the most likely causes would be not having fully fixed the prints
and/or not having fully washed out the fixer.  People often fix too
little, because the fixer tends to bleach salt prints due to the
extremely fine grains of silver produced, so prints are snatched from
the fixer early.  Thorough washing can be very difficult, due to the
fragility of the paper substrate (compared to silver gelatin photo paper).

Next would be atmospheric degradation and/or bleaching from exposure
to light.  Again, because of the extremely fine grains of silver in a
salt print (and also the lack of a protective medium such as
gelatin), the image is very fragile.  Four years strikes me as a bit
soon for atmospheric degradation, though, unless you live in a
horribly polluted metropolis, so I'd be more inclined to suspect
improper fixing and/or washing.

People who are serious about the longevity of salt prints tone them
in Pt and/or Au (early practitioners sometimes used sulfide toning,
and modern printers sometimes use these or Se toners), which also
minimizes density lost in the fixer (toning is typically done before
fixing).  Some also finish them with a gelatin or lacquer protective
layer in the hope of delaying atmospheric degradation.

An excellent reference (Reilly's The Albumen and Salted Paper Book)
is available on-line at:

http://albumen.conservation-us.org/library/monographs/reilly/

Best regards,

etienne