[alt-photo] Re: The Gum Arabic Report (was: Re: Re: evaporation of gum mixture)

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 6 15:16:00 GMT 2010

I didn't provide links for sources, but if anyone is interested in
reading further on this, a source I highly recommend is the World
Bank's report, prepared 2007-2008,  titled "Export Marketing of
Sudanese Gum Arabic"  which describes how the current insufficient
supply of A. senegal was manufactured.  It's a 45-page report
available for download as a pdf.  (I don't have the link but I'm sure
you can find it by googling; that's how I found it).

It's actually rather heartbreaking to read about how a thriving gum
trade in which Sudan produced 80% of the world's gum arabic was
essentially destroyed by what the World Bank calls "inadequate
marketing arrangements."   Over the forty years that the GAC
(government-sanctioned monopoly export company) controlled the gum
export market in Sudan,  Sudan's global market share dwindled from
80% to less than 50%;  "production and consequently exports  fell
steadily"  from in the neighborhood of 45,000 metric tons per year to
15,000 MT or less;  "Low prices received by farmers pushed them to
favor crop cultivation over acacia trees; the reduced tree cover has
left  large areas prone to wind and water erosion."  And of the trees
that are left, according to the recent market reports I cited
earlier,  a significant proportion are being left untapped because
the prices to farmers are so low there's no incentive to harvest the
gum.  In other words, a decision (no doubt unintentional, because
they wouldn't have really intended to dry up the supply) to set floor
prices below the level of sustainability for farmers has essentially
killed the goose that laid the golden egg.  Since other countries
that have stepped in to take up the slack of the declining gum
exports from Sudan are producing mostly talha, it's hard to see how
the insufficient supply of A. senegal will be made up. The World
Bank's report offers optimism that changing policies will bring the
supply back, but I guess we'll have to see.

kt