[alt-photo] Re: Babbling, etc

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 14 23:45:02 GMT 2010

Yeah, I actually think there are more galleries that  do show alt
processes (though not only alt processes) these days-- so maybe things
are changing.  I honestly suspect if we could all make our alt process
prints B-I-G (and I mean really B-I-G), then there would be less
resistance.

The Springbox Gallery in Portland, Oregon just had an opening of the
artists featured in the latest Diffusion-- which are all alt process
prints, I *think,* or at least "unconventional" photography.  They
included a print or two from the contributing writers for this last
issue as well, so I have something in there, too-- but that's probably
a show worth checking out.  I don't know much about the Gallery,
though I suspect they don't typically represent alt-process printers,
but that's just a guess.  http://www.springbox.us/Shows-Detail.cfm?ShowsID=15

But I agree with Loris here in that I don't believe that it's the
processes-- whatever your chosen process is-- that "makes us get into
the gallery;" I think it's a lot of other stuff, really.  But I do
know that any gallery I walk into (unless it's one specific to alt
processes), almost everything that's on the wall is bigger than I am.
Granted, I'm only 5'4"-- but still . . . that 64" can seem big when
hanging on a wall.

Diana