[alt-photo] Re: Official press release about HP large format negatives

Tomas Sobota tom at sobota.net
Thu Jul 15 07:30:56 GMT 2010

The HP blurb says: “We’re committed to helping professional photographers
simplify and accelerate the process for producing, showcasing and archiving
their art.”

Wow, this sounds like Kodak all over again...

I wonder if they are addressing the wrong problem? Presumably most of us
have the digital neg creation already under control, with the several
existing methods such as Mark's PDN, Mike Ware's and others? I don't know
what method does the Spanish photographer Isabel Muñoz use for her platinum
prints, which are more than 1 meter square and beautiful, but she certainly
did not have to wait for the HP "solution".

I also wonder if this will be creating false expectations in many people.
Alt-photo is rather more than just the ability to create a large negative.
What comes after is more difficult.

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain