[alt-photo] Re: Official press release about HPlarge formatnegatives

EJ Photo ejnphoto at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 14:23:18 GMT 2010

This is a simple case of a large company and a photographer of note, teaming
up to give HP users, a preset - or quick fix, to make large negatives on
their digital printers. This presumes that they know what curve you need and
what renders best. It may be a very good starting point, and for many, an
ending point when it comes to crafting a usable negative. If we are
concerned with people making images and having a photographic experience,
I'd say it's a good thing. If we are talking fine craft, best prints? Well
I'd still like to be using Kodak 4125 and my interneg materials but those
days are gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody from the Epson users,
selling them on the idea of using their preset.

The quality of large format film was less than perfect as companies tried to
fill the void as low throughput prevented them from really get it right
which lead to fewer users. This as the digital process was coming into it's
own for what is worth. And lets face it; too many "professional"
photographers know or care so little about high quality prints that many are
indeed quite happy with good enough.

Many here spent years dealing with the frustration of dwindling resources of
film and the onslaught of "the digital promised land" of image making to get
back to where they once were in terms of quality. I hear that frustration in
Greg's colorful rants.  Other never knew the quality that was at hand
because they came on board at the beginning of the promise.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226