[alt-photo] Re: ?: Re: Official press release about HPlarge formatnegatives

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 16 13:24:07 GMT 2010

I think I'm getting a headache here, Keith.  I suspect we're talking
about two different things.  Though I've never seen an "image" taken
with a lenscap on (unless it had a pinhole in it!), I have actually
seen one or two gum prints made in heavy fog-- and I will have to say
that the image itself, on each, was interesting.  The process enhanced
that, but if the image itself hadn't been compelling to begin with (no
matter how faint it was), no process would have made it so (my opinion).

My issue, really, is that I see a lot of really bad work (again,
that's my subjective opinion) that someone thinks will be elevated if
(1) he/she prints it so big that people will be drawn to it, no matter
what.  How can they not be, taking up multiple feet of wall space? or
(2) if printed in some "alt" process, no matter how badly-- or, you
know, he/she uses a Photoshop application that might duplicate that
process (seriously, I've seen that too many times), and that will
somehow elevate their banal image into something special.

I think you're delving into something much more nuanced than what my
point was-- but I get what you're saying.  (I think. )

Diana