[alt-photo] Re: Zia standard solutions

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Jul 20 15:55:27 GMT 2010

Jalo and others,
(Oh my, I'm approaching my ten-post limit for the day)
Jalo's point brought up a topic I have been meaning to ask.  If Jalo just uses the 25ml and adds the chemicals, he essentially has just diluted the solution by a very teeny amount.  Years ago I read about diluting the combined pt/pd solution 50% with water and double coating. This was to get around the very absorbent Rives BFK situation.

My question is this:  has anyone diluted the more expensive precious metal solutions with water as a general practice, either to save $$, or to deal with absorbent papers, or whatnot? I know that if the ratio of ferric to pt/pd goes awry, you get a weak print (seen that in workshops), but given the ratios staying the same, maybe even a 10% or 20% addition of water to the total mix might be possible as general practice? Just wondering if anyone does this, and if so, at what point does it not work.  The person in question was double coating so it wasn't going to affect the total amount of pt/pd on the paper, so I am asking about lessening that total amount.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com