[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Clay Harmon Website clayh at clayharmon.com
Wed Jul 21 22:04:16 GMT 2010

I have accidentally printed on a piece of paper coated with a 50% diluted coat of palladium and ferric. The result was an anemic black and a generally weak print. It also was badly solarized on the edges where the brush strokes tailed out. This squares with my observation that solarization is most likely to occur where there is too much exposure of too little coating in the paper.

It seems to me that the main point of making concentrated and molar-balanced solutions of palladium(or platinum) and ferric oxalate is to ensure that there will be sufficient concentrations of the solution per square inch of print to yield a really deep black in those areas where the exposure is complete. Unless you print on completely wet paper, the water portion of the solution has evaporated and all that is left is the solution, the paper fibers, and whatever residual humidity from the coating solution remains in the paper fibers.

Clay