[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Terry King terryaking at aol.com
Thu Jul 22 16:14:09 GMT 2010

Eric

These are different approaches.

I cannot envisage circumstances in which we would need molar solutions.

My approach is to use processes there is something of beauty to be preserved. That is why  the aesthetics of picture making are important. For example, if someone has not seen the work of Frederick Evans they are unlikely to know what the platinum process can achieve.

You will see why, in these circumstances, we have not used the Zia process and, given our 60% humidity, we don't need it ability to work in dry conditions. So we have not felt the need to adjust it using molar calculations.

I am quite happy to remain in the mind set of pt/pd. I  discourage the purchase of kits. We buy noble metal salts from bullion dealers as that way we do not have to pay import duties and shipping and we get substantial discounts, we have bought over a kilo in one order.

If we mix 2 drops of  20 %Pd with 8 drops of  20% Pd and 10 drops of ferric oxalate we have 1 ml of coating mixture.  What's the problem and why a need for molar solutions?

Manuals usually get it wrong. I have one from 1841 with misleading information. If they can't get 'add water to make 100 ml ' right, what chance do they have with molar solutions ?

 I asked for fish in a hotel in Rochester only to be told that they did not serve fish. All those fish in Lake Erie must be having a lovely time.

Terry