[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Jul 23 13:37:57 GMT 2010

Loris,

OH PHEW. Yes, I was panic stricken, as much about the waste of precious metals as about the potential mistaken formula in my alt manual that I've been doing/teaching this last decade. Now I can breathe easy. I always HATE putting stuff in print because once an error is there, it is chiseled in stone. My chromo article has an error of formula (egregious) where the article writes it as 25ml of Tektol when it should be 125ml of Tektol. ARRRGGGH. (What is even weird is in the proof copy I got from Photo Technique the mistake was not there).

I do mix my own pd- (it is quite a bit darker/richer brown than the B+S palladium which I've never figured out why).

 I do not mix my own FO nor NA2.

My students buy the kits from B+S.

I don't have a problem with solarization, though my students do occasionally when they are stingy with the solution.

But I agree that the molarity is a very intriguing subject and feel that it translates to all these processes well, including my experiences with cyanotype.

I do come at alt from a different perspective, what I call the "kitchen" perspective.  Essentially mix a tsp of this or a gram of that into a measure of water. I have an accurate gram scale and then translate that into tsp/tb for the students.  I can safely say that NONE of my college students possess a gram scale of their own. IF I start out with the easy stuff they're much more liable to enjoy the processes. There's time and interest later for some of them to get into the finer nuances of alt, and that should happen more as the dangling carrot of Christopher James' alt friendly MFA comes into fruition.

But the kitchen perspective I work from doesn't exclude fascination with moles.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com