[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd - water in the brush

EJ Photo ejnphoto at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 15:31:34 GMT 2010

Loris,

While the figures you are quoting are for nearly .5 molar solutions, I make
mine to a nearly .7M solution. Make my own ferric to liquid at a stronger
solution than 28% +/- to a solution of approx 35%. Independent test confirm
faster and better blacks with my mixtures than those from B&S.

In Ware's paper from the late 80's or early 90's, he using a .7M target for
metals and 1.4M for AFO.

I'd like to point out another source of dilution and that is water in the
brush or coating device. It all adds up to a technique. That is the bottom
line and I say that time and time again. You can't look at just the solution
strength without the whole process. The balance of the FO/AFO to metals is
important and is the starting point at the coating level.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226