[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Terry King terryaking at aol.com
Sat Jul 24 09:49:10 GMT 2010

It is not about acquisition of knowledge but about whether that knowledge is relevant to the objective.

If using kits is better for you fine, but in my circumstances, the method I use is easier and cheaper.

Why do you need special instructions for dissolving the platinum and palladium salts when you can just add distilled water in much the same way as you dilute the ferric oxalate but with the precious metal solutions you just need to give them a shake.  I would also suggest that one can make fine platinum prints without all the maths in Dick Arentz's book.

I had one student who bought some pure ferric oxalate from B & S, good stuff, nothing wrong with it, but it did not produce good platinum prints in the same way as the ferric oxalate as we had made in class without using molar solutions. The problem was solved by adding oxalic acid to the B & S solutions. unsurprisingly,we deduced that the ph of the dilution had to be more acid.  From other experience we also deduced that he it needed to be an organic acid. Why should that be ?

The results of our tests show that it makes no difference whether you use ammonium ferric oxalate or ferric oxalate in making platinum prints. These and other circumstances have led myself and others, including those with great chemical expertise, to doubt Dr Ware's chemistry even if that is lese majesty.

Just as a tip, don't try weighing gold salts in humid conditions as the weight will increase as the salts absorb water from the atmosphere.

In the right circumstances using molar solutions clearly makes sense. But should you drag them into making a platinum print from stock materials when making the picture is the objective?

Over-complication and trying to reinvent the wheel has led many to leave this list. Remember the discussion about the size of the holes in garden misters?

If you are going down the A3 from London to Portsmouth call in at Ockham, just north of Guilford, and , at the parish church,pay homage to William of Ockham, who, in the 13th century propounded the principle of excluding from an argument those elements which are unnecessary. This is Ockham's razor.

Keep it simple.

Terry