[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Clay Harmon Website clayh at clayharmon.com
Sat Jul 24 12:42:42 GMT 2010

If all you want to do is make a basic pt/pd print, the traditional approach clearly works. Lots of history behind it, etc, etc.

But if you have a bit of time and like to play in the sandbox, I would recommend at least trying the AFO approach with some of the various metal salts. ( The lithium and ammonium versions spring to mind) Perhaps for no other reason than to learn that this variant has its own unique attributes in regard to print color and exposure scale and sensitivity to ambient humidity.

 I have some prints made using the Ware approach that have a warm chestnut brown color that I have never seen in a traditional pt/pd print. Likewise, the slate-blue-gray color of the Zia palladium print is unique. You just can’t get this color with the traditional methods. I have also had some negatives that had too much contrast to be printed with traditional DOP pt/pd methods that printed fine using the Ware method.

 Might be your cup of tea. Or not. But 25ml of AFO, a couple of the palladium salt variants, and free Saturday afternoon can lead to an informative, fun experience.