[alt-photo] Re: DESICCATE! DESICCATE! DANCE TO THE MUSIC!

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 29 13:47:48 GMT 2010

Well, Alberto-- All I can say is that I have had innumerable courses
in photography, and -- not even once -- did any instructor, or class
member, ever make anything about photography or printing seem so
complicated.  And these instructors, many of whom are house-hold names
in the field of photography, were very thorough in their teaching.

And while I also teach photography, and alt processes, most of the
classes I teach are for students who are just delving, ever so
timidly, into the alt process realm, though they have been long-time
photographers.  I can tell you, without hesitation, that if I were to
present some of the material in the way it was presented here-- to
those beginning classes-- I'd lose a lot of students and turn a lot of
folks off to alt-processes.  (Sometimes I think that's the point here?)

And you must have had some very fine classes when you were 12.  When I
was 12, I was in the 6th-- or maybe 7th grade.  It's been so long I
can't remember.  Trust me when I tell you that we weren't discussing
molarity or moles, and chemistry was most definitely not offered in my
school in the 6th or 7th grade.  Just so that doesn't sound like I
grew up in the Stone Age, my daughter is 23, and she wasn't offered
chemistry when she was 12, either.   I'm impressed that it was offered
to you.  Of course, we did go to American schools. ;)  (Joke-- please
don't any teachers come harping at me about that.)

If you sensed that I was "in disagreement with the argumentations
about chemistry and math," then you were reading something in my post
that was never there-- or, possibly, you simply didn't read very
carefully.  Perhaps, at 12,  your English classes weren't as stellar
as your chemistry and math classes? ;)    (That is actually where my
American schools excelled, about which I am very grateful.)

My point-- and, honestly-- I'm going to make this only one more time--
because, ultimately, it really makes no difference what I think.
But . . . I would not have wanted this taught to me in the way it was
presented here, in any beginning photography or alt-process class.
While I didn't have the benefit of your education, I believe  most
students I've ever taught (and people I actually know who do alt-
processes) would probably agree with me.  Delving into those aspects
of print-making a little deeper, once students have actually learned
to coat the damn paper properly and come up with an actual image of
sorts, just mixing the initial chemistry and getting that right--
well, then, I think going into all that in a deeper way certainly
makes sense-- but don't turn them off before they ever get to that
point.  And I think that approach would (in my opinion).  And I really
don't think I'm unusual in thinking that way.  Sorry.  (I suspect a
lot more people agree with me here than not, but they're not gonna
post that, for obvious reasons.)

I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again.  I've had a lot
of help here, with gum printing specifically.  Obviously, this is a
tricky and fickle process, and I'm still working on it, but one of the
most helpful set of instructions-- by far-- was in Judy's PF Journal.
I thought her step-by-step instructions and illustrations on that were
so clearly laid out, and I have to believe she wrote them that way for
a reason.  I do believe there's a real art to teaching someone a
relatively complicated process like that, but doing it in such a way
that it's still fun and seemingly simple.  And let's not forget the
endless possibilities of creativity and image interpretation that's
involved in a process like that.  In all this discussion of chemistry
and math, that surely seems to have been forgotten.

At any rate, I value the chemistry involved in all of these processes
(really), and I do understand the importance of that-- how one can
have much more "control"  and, perhaps, predictability, in their
printing methods.  Keeping notes surely helps with that, too.   I
would just never teach that in a beginning alt-process class, though,
and certainly not in the way it was presented here.  That's all I'm
saying.  Besides which, I'm not even sure how much I like control and
predictability, both of which-- honestly-- sound a bit deadly to me.

~Diana