[alt-photo] Re: DESICCATE! DESICCATE! DANCE TO THE MUSIC!

David Ashcraft davidashcraft at sti.net
Thu Jul 29 16:24:44 GMT 2010

Loris, thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.  It's
starting to sink in and make sense.  Long ago I used to mix my own
paper developers and would get frustrated because I didn't have the
"right" chemical.  Now I see how this knowledge would have kept me on
track without running out to find the chemicals in the form listed in
the formula (if I had it on hand).

Although, I admit that there was resistance on my part from going
deeper into chemistry because I just wanted to try the formulas out
and see how they affected the look of my prints.  As I eventually
ended up here and find that life is better through chemistry ;`) and
that knowing this information can make my life easier.

It's impossible to walk into the local camera store and find the
materials for these processes.  I'm glad that the kits are available
from the few suppliers that there are, so convenient to open the box,
add water, and make a print.  But it wasn't until I tried the mix your
own formulas did want to know more about chemistry.  It makes my
darkroom time an adventure!  A dash of this and a pinch of that and
magic starts happening.

There is the monetary investment I think that was also a deterrent to
getting into mixing my own, all the safety equipment and lab
equipment.  Although by mixing your own you save money I still factor
in the time spent weighing and mixing instead of making a print.
Don't forget safety!  I know people who should hire somebody to mix
liquid hypo clear for them!

Thanks again,
David