[alt-photo] Re: Stoichiometry for the nonscientist

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Fri Jul 30 21:42:50 GMT 2010

> Loris wrote:
>
> FWIW, an equally lucid explanation (for all: mole, molarity,
> stoichiometry) was already present in the page I have provided to
> David:
> http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/reference/molar.html

I hadn't noticed that link before, but I've gone there now, and I
can't agree that this is a lucid or helpful explanation at all; I
think it's confusing   and would be especially confusing to someone
who didn't understand the concept of gram-molecular weights to start
with.  The author of the page defines a mole not as the molecular
mass of something expressed in grams,   but as 6.022x10^23 of
*anything.*  She says for example that a mole of bananas would be
6.022 x 10^23 bananas, and the way you would find out how much a mole
of bananas would weigh would be to get an average weight of a banana
and then multiply that by 6.022 x 10^23.  This is *not* a helpful way
to explain  molarity or stoichiometry, imo, it would just confuse the
reader rather than enlightening them.