[alt-photo] Re: Stoichiometry for the nonscientist

EJ Photo ejnphoto at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 31 15:12:16 GMT 2010

Katherine posted "  the only thing you need to
> understand is
> that a mole always contains the same number of molecules, no matter
> what
> it's a mole of, and that's why we use moles to figure equivalencies of
> material in chemical equations.)

And that is why I like moles better than % solution when talking about the
reactions taking place with the solutions we make. Two solutions may be 15%
solutions but have wildly different molar concentrations and therefore
deceptively unbalanced if your % is based on weight into a liter of water or
even to make a liter when the chemicals have vastly different atomic mass.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226