[alt-photo] Re : Re: cyanotype [Triangle]

ding dangdong dingedangedonge at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 3 11:58:08 GMT 2010

Hello Loris and all,

In a recent 8-day printing frenzy of cyanotype gumovers and tricolors, (for a show of only 13 prints; ugh!) My two most reliable friends were 'vinaigre d alcool' and my wife's hair dryer. I use the vinegar to pre-acidify full sheets of Fabriano Artistico and 10 sheets of smaller (30 x 30cm) indian handmade paper i found at sennelier here in Paris. Dont know if im doing it right but out of laziness or maybe i read it here sometime ago, i decided to consider the 'preshrinking presoak' done at this stage.  also pour 2 cups of it to 5 liters of water in the development when i desire to keep more of the blues in the scale and omit it when i want more to wash off giving me more latitude for the gum layers.
In that time span, (May 21 - 28) weather here
 got funky with extreme
 changes, raining hard and humid one day then 30 degrees of glorious sunhsine the following. I wasted three parent sheets at one point in this print run because i can't figure out why im getting very dark violet stain in areas mostly in the highlights. My thoughts were 1) overexposing too much 2) uneven coating 3) contaminated or mistake in my chemical mix 4) fogging 5) humidity.
It was then that i remembered Loris' advice on printing bone dry that i used the hair dryer and went a little more careful in keeping things at a constant. Im working under time (and supplies running short) pressure so you can imagine how relieved i was when the problem went away. Again, I thank the list for the rescue and specially Loris for this one!!!

p.s. For European list members The indian paper i found gave me the deepest blue and very wide tonal range i have experienced with trad cyanotype almost like what i get with cyanotype 2. And bonus is i dont even have to acidify!!! code is 'SP3 2W 3. pochete de papier indien blanc. pur chiffon'.
link: http://www.magasinsennelier.com/papier/p_monde.html#pinde

p.s.2 apologies for my pained attempt at writing english. Its not my native language neither French.

Ding

--- En date de : Jeu 3.6.10, Loris Medici