[alt-photo] preserving gum arabic solution

Gareth Jarvis jarvis.photography at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 19:16:16 GMT 2010

I mixed up some gum arabic solution (from silverprint) 70g to 200ml distilled water and stored it in a clean brown glass bottle. To this I added 5 drops of 10% formalin I bought from ebay. It's been a few weeks and my gum smells sour and has started to grow mould. Do you have any advice on how to prevent this? Stronger fomalin/formaldehyde or more drops? Cheers

This is what I used...  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Buffered-Formalin-10-Preserving-Specimens-500ml-/130310573208?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item1e571d8c98